Conversation with a Gemini: Kalaija Mallery

June 22, 2019



For those of you who don't follow me on Instagram, I do monthly make-up look posts each month for every Sun sign season. Normally, I adhere to the Tropical astrology schedule so I'm a little late for Gemini's look. But those of you who study Western Sidereal astrology, I'm right on time. Instead of just posting a makeup look, I decided to interview my dear friend Kalaija.

Kalaija is my favorite Gemini. She's dynamic, exciting, and always has something interesting to say. I asked her to create a make-up look that reflects her aesthetic vision of what it means to be a Gemini. And she captured it alright. With a two-toned lip the color of a cotton-candy ombre and an ethereal dusting of white eyeshadow over her eyes and cheeks, this look belongs in the heavenly realms of intellectual whimsies. The gems and faux freckles oscillating between white and and rusty red not only showcase Gemini's duality, but also gives this look an energetic edge.

In addition to her makeup, she also answered a few questions about what it's like to have this communicative and airy sign in her natal chart (not just her Sun sign, but her Moon, Mercury, and Venus too!). Keep reading to find out more about the perspective of this super Gemini.

☿ ☿ ☿

Mercurial Musings: So what's it like being a Gemini?

Kalaija: Immediately I was like, wow, this is a broad question with many comparable schools of thought that could affect the answer depending on the approach of which Gemini person you ask. Maybe that’s the thing I like the most about being a Gemini: everything is an expansion on inquiry. I’ve felt my whole life consists of asking “why?” in repetition. Then, answering in long-winded spirals.
In reality, being a Gemini means a constant “reeling in” and “letting go” of yourself and who you are. It’s like a perfect mastery of being both something and its opposite, the verse and inverse of thoughts, emotions, opinions, perspectives, attention. My pairing with a Virgo rising means I have a hard time forming ideas into sentences that make sense on paper. It’s a rambling through the discovery of life -- a chaotic participation process that often offends others but gives Geminis a lot of depth. Even if we seem crazy. Trust the Gemini to be who we are and want to be in earnest; there is no hidden agenda or plot to destroy anything or anyone intentionally. Even if we feel we have a reason to (ahem, Scorpios).
Mercurial Musings: What's something you wish non-Geminis understood about your sign?
Kalaija: We don’t mean any harm, please be patient with us, and you know we give you some of the best material to work with. Give us the benefit of the doubt, as we do with you and most other things. Also, sorry for talking too much sometimes.
Mercurial Musings: Geminis are get a lot of shit on the internet. How does this impact your opinion of yourself?
Kalaija: I think, in truth, everybody gets a lot of shit on the internet. So remembering that helps. If you’re going to put yourself out there, you gotta know there will be two sides of the coin. Some will like you and others won’t be able to stand you. I don’t really give a shit what people think about me anymore. But I also really hate feeling misunderstood. Learning the inevitability of that and accepting it is imperative to coming into myself wholly.*
* On this note, I’d also like to point out that social media is the worst evolutionary “advancement” for the human psyche. It warps and feeds the necessity to give a shit about what people's opinions about you. It really doesn’t matter what others think about you based on generalizations, like what content you produce, your gender or your zodiac sign. The internet is a vacuum of identification and sameness. By participating, you're really just a cog in the machine, producing images that can be and are often used as subconscious advertising. Thus, “naturally” fueling the machine of capitalistic consumption. Believing yourself on the internet then becomes a multi-level marketing scheme. Keep your emotions safe.
Remember this and understand the arena you're entering into and its stakes. It's essential towards building an armor and letting go.

Mercurial Musings: Do you think your Sun sign impacts the way you dress yourself or the "look" you go for?
Kalaija: If the look is happy/sad post-grad in drag as mac demarco--then yes.


Mercurial Musings: What's your favorite thing about your Sun sign?

Kalaija: For me it’s not only my Sun sign--it’s also my Moon, Venus, and Mercury! Which makes me proud to be just about as Gemini as they come, rocking some extra extra duality, malleability and child-like blunders to boot. In spite of, and because of its challenges, I love the constant Gemini drive toward movement, either in my body or my mind, and how this manifests into my adult life as I enter my Saturn return. Questioning the world and wanting to learn more about it in order to participate in it has been a real treat. 10/10 would recommend.


Be sure to check out Kalaija's art practice by clicking here.

You Might Also Like

0 comments